The copywriting profession originated at the end of the 19th century, however, to this day, many do not fully understand what copywriting is and how copywriters should work. In the meantime, this modern and popular profession is able to bring good earnings, while not requiring significant cash investments, experience and a lot of time at the start. However, this method of employment is not suitable for everyone. We will tell you what copywriting is, how copywriters work and what to do to start making money on texts.
What is copywriting and what copywriters actually do
Initially, the concept of copywriting included the process of writing advertising texts, and copywriters were those who wrote these texts. Today, the concept of copywriting has expanded significantly and began to include the writing of almost any material, regardless of the format, platforms, where the publication is planned, topics, etc. These may include:
- informational articles for a website, blog;
- filling of sections of a commercial site, catalog;
- description of products for marketplaces and online stores;
- posts for social networks;
- texts for email newsletters;
- scripts for advertising and entertainment videos;
- filling landing pages;
- SEO texts for promotion in search engines, etc.
At the same time, copywriting should not be confused with journalism, because despite the abundance of forms that are included here, the goal of all copywriting texts to one degree or another is the same: to convey an idea to the reader or to induce him to take action, which was conceived by the customer or the author himself. In addition, most of the copywriters’ texts are of a commercial nature.
In addition, you need to be able to distinguish copywriting from rewriting. So, rewriting assumes that the author will take a ready-made text from the Internet as a basis and rewrite it in his own words, while maintaining a high uniqueness. Copywriting includes a deep study of a topic, a compilation of information from several sources, analysis and conclusions drawn directly by the author. Thus, to understand how a copywriter works, imagine that you are writing a school essay, and in the case of a writer, a presentation.
What a copywriter should do?
As it has already become clear, people who are engaged in copywriting, i.e. write commercial and informational texts to order, are called copywriters. At the same time, copywriters are different. Some have a specialization and write texts only within the framework of a narrow topic, others work only with informational or commercial articles, others fill longreads and marketplaces, and still others take absolutely any orders. The format of the copywriter’s work may also differ:
- Writing texts according to TK. The client sends a ready-made technical assignment, which contains the goals, objectives of the text, audience, plan, key queries and other important elements. A copywriter only needs to adhere to the TOR, without thinking about such super tasks as attracting buyers, creating a sales funnel, etc.
- Solving the client’s “pains”. In this case, the customer sets a goal or task for the author, and the performer himself comes up with a way to achieve them. Such authors are valued much more, but there are not so many of them on the market.
Copywriters also differ in the format of cooperation:
- Work in the state. The author is assigned to a specific customer and completely covers all his needs for text content. This format is convenient for both the contractor and the company that hired him: the employee does not need to delve into the specifics of the topic or product every time, to establish mutual understanding with the client, and the company does not need to look for a contractor with an acceptable quality of work and an adequate degree of responsibility.
- Work in an agency. This format assumes an endless flow of orders for a large number of diverse clients. The main disadvantage of such cooperation is that the copywriter needs to dive into the topic from scratch every time. In addition, different customers have different requirements for the text, which can complicate the work.
- Work for yourself. This form assumes that the contractor is looking for clients for himself, be it one-time orders on the exchange or regular cooperation with a specific company. The main plus: you can find a pleasant customer and work with him on a long-term basis. Of the minuses, we note the need for a constant and sometimes exhausting search for clients.
It turns out that all the work of a copywriter is to write a text that would completely satisfy the customer and solve the tasks assigned to him. It sounds simple, but in reality everything is a little more complicated, because not every text is able to increase sales or improve brand reputation.
How to become a copywriter
And yet the main advantage of the profession is that the work does not require additional cash injections, experience and a large amount of free time. However, the following skills will not be superfluous:
- Ability to compose a logical and consistent structure of the text. This directly affects the quality and readability of the work.
- Ability to determine the goal, task of the article, take into account the peculiarities of the target audience and the platform where the publication is planned. It depends on whether the format, style, and presentation of the article will be successfully chosen. Alas, not all customers prescribe this when placing assignments.
- Ability to find and use several reliable sources in work. This increases the expertise of the material, and after it the trust of the audience.
Almost the main headache of every novice copywriter is the question of where to look for the first orders. We have collected several of the most popular options:
- Create an account on the exchange. On such resources, a large number of orders are placed for performers of various levels, including both experienced professionals and very young authors. Moreover, almost every exchange has its own rules that guarantee its users financial security. Unfortunately, such platforms do not allow you to make large sums immediately, but they are great for beginners who need to build a portfolio.
- Search for customers directly. It is possible that someone among your inner circle or acquaintances is looking for an author for a landing page or posts on Instagram. Offer your candidacy and do not be afraid to cheapen, because at the initial stage, the main thing is to earn a good reputation and replenish the number of examples of work.
- Promote yourself through a personal website. On your own resource, you can post information about services, prices, demonstrate a portfolio. However, do not forget that advertising a site requires additional funds.
- Promote yourself through social media. In this case, you can create a public or a group with your work, or you can use a personal page. As a rule, such promotion comes down to targeting or commenting in thematic groups.
- Look for orders on specialized forums. On the platforms where specialists gather, it is not uncommon to meet customers. A nice bonus will be a company of fellow copywriters who can share personal experience or give advice on any issue.
- Look for orders on message boards. However, when looking for orders on Avito and similar sites, it is worth remembering that, unlike the same exchanges, they are not sufficiently protected from fraud.
Thus, copywriting includes writing commercial and informational texts to order, and the people who do this are called copywriters. The profession differs in that at the start it does not require compulsory experience, and everyone can learn it. At the same time, the direction is extremely in demand due to the fact that texts are needed literally everywhere.
However, it is worth remembering that despite the possibility of an easy start, not every copywriter becomes a good specialist. To do this, you need not only to write competent texts, but also to solve the customer’s problems. Portfolio plays an important role in the copywriting profession, however, along with its replenishment, it is important to continuously increase the knowledge base, because the copywriting field is constantly developing and changing. Over time, this will increase the rate and earn more tangible money, and in the future grow to a content manager, editor, and even chief editor.